Faith & Knowledge
In this very but important lecture Sheikh Jafar Idris elaborates on the concept of Faith and Knowledge, a talk which continues from a previous lecture: “Ways of Improving One’s Character”
I supplicate to Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala, asking Him by the blessings and comprehension of His Ayah (Ittaqu Allah wa yu’alimukum Allah) which means: “have Taqwa of Allah, and Allah will teach you” to make our efforts as muslims a tool to increase Taqwa to all of us so as to be eligible that Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala teaches us.
We read in the Noble Qur’an:
But those firm in knowledge among them and the believers believe in what has been revealed to you, [O Muhammad], and what was revealed before you. And the establishers of prayer [especially] and the givers of zakah and the believers in Allah and the Last Day – those We will give a great reward.
[Al-Baqarah, Ayat 162]
But Allah bears witness to that which He has revealed to you. He has sent it down with His knowledge, and the angels bear witness [as well]. And sufficient is Allah as Witness.
[Al-Baqarah, Ayat 166]
Allah witnesses that there is no deity except Him, and [so do] the angels and those of knowledge – [that He is] maintaining [creation] in justice. There is no deity except Him, the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
[Ali-Imran, Ayat 18]
“Ittaqu Allah wa yu’alimukum Allah …Have Taqwa of Allah and Allah Will Teach you, Will Give you Knowledge…
So this means that Taqwa which is faith [consciousness] in Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala helps you to learn more.”
About Dr. Jafar Sheikh Idris:
• Dr. Jaafar Sheikh Idris is considered one of few Muslim Scholars of this era who comprehended the knowledge of Islam and Western Ideologies. He authored many articles and research papers. He visited many countries around the world where he lectured in Arabic and English.
• Dr. Jaafar Sheikh Idris was born on 15th June 1931 in Port Sudan, Sudan. He grew up in the city of Port Sudan where he completed his elementary and secondary school. In addition to the modern school system, he studied Qur’an in traditional Qur’anic schools. He also studied Fiqh, Hadith and Arabic Language under traditional teachers in the city and studied Aqida with “Ansar al-Sunnah” group.
• After that he joined University of Khartoum where he completed his education and traveled to London for postgraduate studies.
• He obtained his Ph.D. (Philosophy), from the University of Khartoum/University of London, 1970. The topic of his Ph.D. thesis was “The Concept of the causality in Islam”.
His Professional Teaching and Experience include:
Consultant for various Islamic Organizations around the world.
Chairman of the founding council of the American Open University.
Professor of Islamic Studies and Director of the Research Center of The Institute of Islamic and Arabic Sciences in America.
Professor of Islamic studies, Departments of Aqeedah, Daw’ah and Information, Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University, Saudi Arabia. Taught graduate courses of Aqeedah (Islamic Creed), Theology and Contemporary Ideologies.
Associate Professor of Islamic Studies, Dept. of Islamic Culture, Riyadh University. Lecturer, Department of Philosophy, University of Khartoum.
• He has Lectured at many universities, academic institutes and Islamic centers in many parts of the Islamic and Western worlds. He has also participated with research at many different conferences around the world.
• There are many published and unpublished articles, papers and pamphlets, in Arabic and English of Dr. Jaafar Idris. Some of the published English ones are:
“Islamic Social Science”
“The Islamic Way of Developing Nations”
“Human Nature and Human Values”
“The Islamization of the Sciences: Its Philosophy and Methodology”
“Is Man the Vicegerent of God?”
“The Pillars of Faith”
“The Process of Islamization”
“The Attributes of God, an Islamic point of view”
• There are also many articles in different magazines as well as papers presented in many Islamic conferences but were not published.