Five Pillars of Islam
1. Shahadah (Testimony of Faith) – La ilaha illAllah
2. Salat (Prayer) – Muslims pray 5 times a day for the sake of Allah. Prayer keeps the remembrance of Allah in the hearts of the believers. After all, only Allah is worthy of our worship.
3. Zakat (Charity) – Muslims pay a minimum of 2.5% of their overall income to help the needy and support the community. It strengthens the love between the rich and the poor. The Prophet Muhammad salAllahu alaihi wasalam said: “Blessed is the wealth of a Muslim from which he gives to the poor, to orphans, and to needy travelers.” Sahih Bukhari / “If you disclose your sadaqaat (almsgiving), it is well; but if you conceal them and give them to the poor, that is better for you. Allah will expiate you some of your sins. And Allah is Well-Aquainted with what you do.” Surah Al Baqarah 2:271
4. Sawm (Fasting) – Muslims do this during the month of Ramadan (in which the Holy Qur’an was revealed) to restrain themselves from committing sin and pleasing Allah. Not only that, but it also strengthens the Muslims spirituality and Iman (faith). “O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint. Surah Al Baqarah 2:183 / “Ramadan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur’an, as a guide to mankind, also clear (signs) for guidance and judgment (between right and wrong). So everyone of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put you in difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.” Surah Al Baqarah 2:184
5. Hajj (pilgrimage) – The final pillar of Islam. Muslims from all over the world come together to the beautiful city of Makkah to perform this pilgrimage. This is not obligatory on the ones who are unable physically or are in an unsuitable financial position to travel.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download ()
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS